Friday, October 17, 2008

My latest craft project...

My friend called me a few weeks ago and said that her neighbor had made this pumpkin topiary after she had seen one at Michael's for nearly $200. After hitting 5 different stores, April and I were able to get all the supplies to make them for around $45 each. I was pretty excited about that. We used craft pumpkins which we drilled holes into and then stacked on a dowel rod. Inside the urns is a block of craft foam to hold it up straight (mostly). The urns we bought at Garden Ridge for $7.99. They were an ugly grey color but with a little Krylon spray paint they became a lovely shade of chocolate. I even dry brushed some gold craft paint to add dimension. The leaves on the bottom 2 sections are actually part of a grapevine type garland which we just wrapped around the pumpkins after they were stacked. Under the smallest pumpkin we stuck a little moss in the space and added some leaves that were cut from the garland. I'm not real sure if I like the bow on top, but I didn't know what else to put there. (any suggestions are welcome) After it was all put together, I wrapped some orange lights in with the leaves.




This pic isn't that great, but you get the idea...

4 comments:

The Daniel Family said...

Love it!! Are you taking orders ;-)

Renee said...

I love them Jen!!!

KatSpy said...

Can we do a crafty day? I want some....

Crafty Lady said...

Great job! It looks so pretty.